Frequently Asked Questions
Find answers to your Oklahoma disaster restoration questions below. For emergency services such as water extraction, structural drying or pack-out services call anytime. Our Wagoner and Tulsa area disaster restoration team is ready to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
FLOOD & WATER DAMAGE RESTORATION
SMOKE & FIRE DAMAGE RESTORATION
MOLD REMOVAL & MOLD REMEDIATION
Have A Question?
SHOULD I SPRAY SOMETHING TO GET RID OF THE MUSTY SMELL IN MY BASEMENT?
Spraying may provide temporary relief, but you really need to lower the humidity level by installing a good quality dehumidifier.
WHY CAN’T I JUST OPEN THE BASEMENT DOORS AND WINDOWS TO GET RID OF THE SMELL?
Doing so may bring in damper or warmer air that would cause more condensation to form. Keep the basement doors and windows closed while running a dehumidifier.
WHAT ELSE CAN I DO TO DISSIPATE THE ODOR?
Remove all organic materials such as cardboard boxes, paper, clothing, and piles of wood, which are food sources for mold.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF TOO MUCH HUMIDITY IN A HOME?
A few of the symptoms you may notice include a musty odor, allergic reactions, visible mold growth, cupped wood floors, feeling “sticky” or “muggy,” visible condensation/water stains, and peeling wallpaper or blistering paint.
OUR FURNACE BACKED UP AND CAUSED SMOKE DAMAGE THROUGHOUT OUR HOME. THE BEDROOM DOORS WERE CLOSED, DOES THAT MEAN THE SMOKE DID NOT GET IN THERE?
Unfortunately, smoke can easily enter from around and under the door, as well as under the walls and through plumbing openings in the floor. This room needs to be checked and properly cleaned for smoke damage, an Oklahoma disaster restoration service we can easily provide.
HOW CAN I PREVENT WATER FROM COMING INTO OUR HOME?
Inspect the way the ground all around your foundation is sloped. It must be pitched away from the house to prevent gutter overflow from running towards and under your foundation. Also make sure that all down spouts run at least a few feet away from the house. Have any foundation or basement floor cracks repaired. Install a sump pump and add insurance coverage for pump failure.
If you see mold or smell odors in your home your problems are not over as things are still damp and need to be properly dehumidified and treated. If you can’t see the problem, it may be inside a wall, in which case you should have someone inspect the wall by carefully cutting it open. We do this as a routine Oklahoma disaster restoration strategy.
THE HOT WATER HEATER LEAKED AND FILLED OUR BASEMENT WITH THREE INCHES OF WATER. DO ALL THE WALLS HAVE TO BE REMOVED AND REPLACED?
Not necessarily. Often we can dry them inside and save them. Walls with insulation must be cut open at the bottom to dry.
MOLD DOES NOT SEEM TO SHOW AS MUCH IN THE WINTER. DOES THAT MEAN IT HAS DIED?
NO. Since heated houses in our area are often very dry during the winter months, mold problems do seem to subside. However, as soon as the humidity rises when we open the windows in the spring, the mold will grow rapidly.
YOU RECENTLY ERADICATED MOLD FROM MY ATTIC. WILL IT COME BACK?
It should not. After we removed all traces of the mold we treated all the surfaces in your attic with a powerful mold preventive that will stop the mold from returning.
CAN CLEANING UP MOLD BE HAZARDOUS TO MY HEALTH?
YES. During the cleaning process, you may be exposed to mold, strong detergents, and disinfectants. Spore counts may be 10 to 100 times higher than background levels when mold contaminated materials are disturbed. Call Disaster Restoration Services to assist in properly cleaning the mold in your house.
SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT MOLD IN MY HOME?
Yes, if indoor mold contamination is extensive, it can cause very high and persistent airborne spore exposures. Persons exposed to high spore levels can become sensitized and develop allergies to the mold or other health problems. Mold growth can damage your furnishings while clothes in damp closets can become soiled. Over time unchecked mold growth can even cause damage to the structural elements in your home. If you can smell mold inside your home, take steps to identify and eliminate the excess moisture and to cleanup and remove the mold.
DRS is a member of the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC).